Avalere Health is currently looking for a Director, with a focus on policy issues impacting evidence generation, value and pricing, and communication, to join our Policy Practice. This practice focuses on a range of issues relating to federal and state implementation of the Affordable Care Act, Medicare Advantage and Part D, Medicare reform, Medicaid, and other related policy issues. In addition, we work closely with other practice groups to help clients understand the changing policy landscape with respect to developing, communicating, and using scientific evidence of clinical benefit and value. We rely on deep subject matter expertise and understanding of the business issues facing our clients to assess how this changing policy landscape impacts the pharmaceutical industry, managed care plans, providers, and consumers. We provide analytic support and advisory services, including legislative strategy, regulatory analysis, and quantitative modeling of proposed and enacted policies to a wide range of clients across the healthcare industry.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Serve as a subject matter expert on how policy is shaped across the following topic areas:
- Publicly and privately funded comparative effectiveness research conducted by US and international entities, such as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE);
- The emergence of value assessment organizations and value frameworks such as the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER), the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), etc., and how public and private payers are using these value frameworks;
- Rules governing evidence communication by manufacturers (e.g., FDAMA 114); and
- Policy proposals targeting prescription drug prices, including increased transparency, price controls, financing alternatives, and market-based solutions.
- Lead and coordinate business development efforts and increase public visibility on issues related to value and evidence policy by engaging with current and prospective clients, speaking at conferences and other public meetings, engaging as a thought leader in the field, and partnering with Avalere’s sales functions.
- Lead teams within the Policy Practice and across the firm to solve complex client problems and engage clients with novel solutions and ideas.
- Create both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients depending on their policy and business needs.
- Manage a portfolio of clients to identify and deliver on business opportunities and projects that dovetail with Avalere’s expertise and offerings.
- Conceptualize, design, and execute—from start to finish—a broad range of client projects involving diverse, cross-functional, cross-practice teams.
- Mentor, supervise, and train staff members within the Policy Practice and across the firm.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements:
- A graduate degree in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, health economics, business administration or a relevant discipline or a combination of bachelor’s degree and in-depth relevant work experience.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience, relevant experience includes: working either in industry, a regulatory agency (e.g., AHRQ, NIH), a pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or medtech company, or a consulting or law firm with a sophisticated understanding of the policy issues related to evidence generation, communication, and use.
- Experience overseeing and supervising work of staff members
- Demonstrated relationships with external experts and thought leaders focused on evidence-based medicine policy
- Solid communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm.
- 5 years of solid consulting experience preferred
- 5 years of supervisory experience preferred
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of an organization.
- Significant and sustained project management experience that includes interacting with and presenting to senior-level executives and/or health policy leaders.
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on partnering and sharing work with colleagues.
- Ability to analyze and understand health policy trends from the perspective of multiple stakeholders and translate related business implications.
- Superior problem solving and analytic skills with the capability of applying knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area.
How to Apply:
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website at www.avalere.com/careers. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
Candidates may be required to complete an interview exercise or assessment as part of the final-round interview process for this role.