Avalere is seeking a Manager or Senior Manager-level individual specializing in Product Management. This position is part of our Data Analytics & Development practice, and focuses on developing and evolving products using our differentiated data assets. The core product responsibility of this position is the new Avalere Market Navigator (AMN). Avalere Market Navigator seeks to deliver data-driven insights to the life sciences industry to enhance business strategies for market access and provider engagement opportunities. AMN also supports our Advisory Services work by enabling life sciences companies to discover areas of interest for deeper analytical analysis.
Product Management Role at Avalere
At Avalere, we believe that the ultimate responsibility of an effective Product Manager is to maximize the business value of a product – whether the value comes from sales, margins, reputation awareness of Avalere in a particular space, or some combination of these. To be successful, a Product Manager simultaneously plays roles as a leader, coordinator, collaborator, and partner across many functions within the company. The departments and functions that work with Product Management at various stages of development and launch include sales, marketing, finance, software development, subject matter teams, and account relationship managers. It is also important to note that the position is highly analytic. The Product Manager has to translate the financial metrics of the product into a strategic life cycle plan, as well as interpret the utilization reports of a product to support sales, marketing, and renewal activities.
In addition to playing a central internal role to coordinate and manage their product(s), this function also serves in a customer facing capacity to help open new sales opportunities, close deals, or work with existing product users to ensure excellent customer experience and strong renewal performance. Ultimately, a strong Product Manager is the voice of the customer inside the business and should be passionate about user experience, both from a product perspective as well as an overall Avalere brand perspective.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Product Life Cycle Management. Lead the product through all phases of its life cycle including launch, in-market, evolution, and sunsetting as appropriate. In each phase of development, work across various functions within Avalere to ensure success. Such functions include finance, sales, marketing, and development. Gather information on the marketplace, customer demands, and competition – through market research and direct sales efforts – to inform product life cycle strategy. Work with senior leadership to report on the health of the product and to secure budget and staff resources as necessary to support the product’s business goals.
- Content Development. Avalere’s mission is to be the essential voice improving healthcare. As such, our products must represent high quality, objective, data-driven insights that enable our clients to take action. It is the responsibility of the product manager to work with the appropriate internal subject matter experts to identify outstanding content for the products’ customers and establish a quality review process for all product content.
- Technology Development. Products should evolve with market needs and the competitive landscape to ensure that we are delivering the functionality and innovation that users demand. Work with sales team to understand the market, gain customer insights directly, and bring insights back to the development team. Liaise with development team to marshal resources, execute proofs of concept, and ensure product requirements are well understood and incorporated in product creation/evolution.
- Sales and Marketing. The product’s sales forecast is jointly owned by the Product Manager and the product sales team. Partner with the Avalere product sales team to create a sales action plan, bring in new sales, and secure renewals as needed. In collaboration with the marketing team, perform market research and voice of customer interviews to build and execute on an annual marketing strategy, including marketing campaigns and sales enablement tools.
- Critical Business Success Factors. Work with finance and sales teams to understand the product’s financial picture including revenue, sales forecasts, and margins. Manage the product expense budget to strike the balance between investing to achieve product growth relative to market demand - and maintaining a healthy margin where applicable. Business metrics should be reviewed on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job Related Requirements:
- Bachelors or Masters degree with 3-8 years of relevant experience in B2B product management and development.
- Experience working with data or content driven business intelligence products from development to life cycle management.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with sales, marketing, and other teams that contribute to product lifecycle management.
- Strong analytic research and reporting capabilities, comfort with complex data, and excellent problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to manage complex, cross-functional projects and teams.
Additional Skills & Competencies:
- Knowledge across the healthcare sector markets including life sciences, providers, and/or health plans is preferred.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills are critical for success in this position.
- Commitment to working within a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients to achieve business goals.
- Ability to interface with clients and prospects to determine business needs and translate those needs into relevant customer solutions.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website at www.avalere.com/careers. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
Candidates should be prepared for an interview exercise that aligns with the requirements of the position as a part of the in person interview process.