Avalere Health is seeking a Web Application/Software Developer. The primary function of this position is to anchor and develop Avalere’s growing Software Development team. The developer will work across many of Avalere’s web and data tools in all stages of the software development life-cycle. The ideal candidate is user and needs focused, has some consulting experience, but is wanting to be part of a more permanent team. While Ruby and Rails experience is required, candidates with experience across a number of languages and environments are preferred.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate on high-quality development efforts in support of Avalere products and services.
- Mentor team members on Object Oriented Design Principles and Patterns.
- Assess the risk of and prioritize bad smells in code.
- Propagate healthy pair coding habits.
- Instill respect for code reviews, necessary code quality, maintainable design, and useful tests.
- Collaborate with product managers on defining User Stories and advise on technical feasibility in prioritization discussions.
- Collaborate with wide array of stakeholders on design and user research activities.
- Share a passion for Agile Software Development Methodologies and practices, while avoiding dogmatic adherence to any one packaged agile “brand”.
- Have a tenacity for continual improvement, sharing knowledge, and solving complex problems.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements:
- At least 4 years experience developing web applications (at least 1 year with Ruby and Rails)
- Experience with SQL and Git
- Object-Oriented-Design experience including an understanding of SOLID principles
- Experience in Agile Methodology; especially, estimation, pairing, and Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Additional Skills and Competencies:
- Minimum of 2 years consulting experience in the DC metropolitan area
- RSpec & Cucumber
- Rails 3.x
- R, SAS, Python, Scala
- Practical Object Oriented Design (duplicated)
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins, Capistrano)
- Rails Specific Server Administration
- Contribution to software development community in forms of gems, plug-ins, publications or articles, or online portfolio.
- Familiarity with UX and protyping toolsets (Adobe CS, Sketch, Balsamiq, Invision)
- Agile project management tools (JIRA, Pivotal Tracker, Trello)
- Prior experience in healthcare
How to Apply:
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website at www.avalere.com/careers. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
Candidates should be prepared for an interview exercise that aligns with the requirements of the position as a part of the in-person interview process.