Avalere’s Associate Immersion Program is a challenging, highly selective program in which participants will engage in project work that spans a variety of Avalere’s practice areas. During the program, participants will gain a wealth of hands-on healthcare consulting experience while honing their research, writing, and project management skills. Associates will regularly participate in content and Avalere-specific training, while receiving informal mentorship and career guidance. After successful completion of the program, participants will transition to an internal practice area in which to specialize and grow. Most new associates are placed in the Policy and Market Access practices.
Applicants at the associate level will have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree in public health, public policy, public administration, business, statistics, economics, mathematics, or other related fields. Applicants with concentrations in other disciplines requiring strong quantitative and analytical skills, who have an interest in healthcare, public policy, and business, are also encouraged to apply. Our Associate position is specifically tailored toward recent graduates or candidates with limited work experience.
Associates will be expected to assume significant levels of responsibility handling client projects.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- Have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree in public health, public policy, public administration, business, statistics, economics, mathematics, or other related fields. Applicants with concentrations in other disciplines requiring strong quantitative and analytical skills who have an interest in healthcare, public policy, and business are also encouraged to apply
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills
- Ability to perform basic research in varied formats
- Basic presentation and public speaking skills
- Eagerness to learn complex issues related to the healthcare delivery system
- Previous experience working as a team member on multifaceted projects and meeting deadlines
- A positive, professional, and solution-oriented attitude
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- High level of initiative and commitment to excellence
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Basic understanding of the consulting environment
Avalere prizes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and flexibility. Candidates who demonstrate a high degree of ownership of his or her work and possess excellent collaboration and communication skills are preferred. This is a great opportunity for recent graduates who are beginning their careers in healthcare consulting. Associates will find a positive, supportive, dynamic work environment. Avalere provides continuous opportunities to grow one’s technical and content-specific skills.
- Our Associate position is specifically tailored toward recent graduates or candidates with limited work experience
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website by Monday, November 30, 2020. Only complete applications by the deadline date will be considered. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- College transcript (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable; unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- Avalere’s Associate Recruitment Case Study
File names for all submitted documents should include “First Name_Last Name_Document Name” (e.g. Smith_Jane_CoverLetter, Smith_Jane_Resume, Smith_Jane_CaseStudy and Smith_Jane_Transcript).
Avalere’s Talent Acquisition Team will begin reviewing applications and conducting phone interviews on a rolling basis through December 2020. Second round interviews will take place in January 2021. Should you be selected for an initial interview, you will be contacted via email. Please send any questions you have regarding the program to Recruiting@avalere.com.
In an effort to assess your writing skills and provide you with an opportunity to understand the type of work that our Associates perform on behalf of our clients, please read and select one of the case study prompts below.
Some points to consider:
- Additional research may be required and is encouraged
- Cite your sources as necessary
- Include your name, email address, and prompt number on your case study submission
- Responses should be written in a clear and concise manner
- Once completed, please submit your answers with your full application via our website at avalere.com/careers. As a reminder, a full application includes a cover letter, résumé, college transcript(s), and 1 case study question.
Only applications completed by the deadline date will be considered.
Case Study Prompt Options
Select only 1 prompt and limit you response to 750 words (excluding citations).
Question 1: Please describe 2–3 major policy changes Congress or an administrative agency (e.g., the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Food and Drug Administration) has put in place in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please limit your answer to 375 words.
Question 2: Using your answer to Question 1, choose 1 specific policy change (e.g., flexibilities to telehealth, therapeutic approval process, cost-sharing for vaccines) and describe the implications to a healthcare market sector (pharmaceutical companies, health plans, or hospitals and health systems). Please limit your answer to 375 words.
Cell and gene therapies are a revolutionary advancement in medicine that have the potential to impact multiple therapeutic areas. Choose 2 of the 3 following stakeholder groups—pharmaceutical companies, health plans, and consumers—and describe the challenges and opportunities that these innovative therapies present to those stakeholders.
The Food and Drug Administration regularly approves new drug therapies that change the competitive landscape with new market entrants. Please select a recently approved therapy and summarize the treatment’s key characteristics. Using peer-reviewed published literature or a repository of randomized trials, please provide a short summary of the approved indications, mechanism of action, and clinical efficacy.