Avalere is a vibrant community of innovative thinkers dedicated to solving the challenges of the healthcare industry. We dig deep into the healthcare system and work closely with clients to develop practical solutions. At Avalere , we prize curiosity, resilience, a positive attitude, and an enthusiasm to embrace new challenges. Join us and get ready to make your mark on healthcare!
Avalere Health is seeking an Associate Principal who has extensive expertise in health economics and outcomes research, evidence strategy, and value assessment to join our Evidence & Strategy practice. The candidate should have extensive experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research using a variety of methodologies, providing strategic and tactical HEOR/Value & Evidence advisory services to a variety of stakeholders, leveraging subject matter expertise to generate novel solutions for our clients and generate new business, and leading projects to support evidence generation for life sciences clients.
Avalere’s Evidence & Strategy practice provides exceptional consultation, evidence, and insights on key aspects of healthcare— including patient-centric HEOR, quality, shared decision making, value-based care, and health equity—to shape strategy for our clients.
Our mission is to improve quality of care, craft data-driven strategies, drive patient-centric outcomes, and ultimately provide the highest value to all our partners, including life sciences companies, payers, providers, and patient advocates. Our work is focused in 3 intersecting strategic pillars: patient-centric value, evidence and analytics, and healthcare strategy. Underlying all work is a deep commitment to data-driven insights.
The Associate Principal, HEOR, will support client engagements that inform business and evidence strategy related to the strategic direction and execution of projects in partnership with the cross-functional teams to generate data to answer decision-makers complex health economic questions on the value of the clients’ products and disease areas of focus.
The ideal candidate would have a deep knowledge of developing and interpreting evidence and communicating value for life-sciences products, especially how value is defined from all perspectives. They will also have a good grasp of the key health technology assessment and value assessment frameworks and how they are used by payors to determine coverage and utilization management approaches. Furthermore, they would have a proven track record of conducting and leading healthcare research studies.
- Demonstrate superior consulting acumen, deepening client relationships and anticipating client needs and impacts of healthcare landscape changes
- Help generate business with new clients and grow business with existing clients
- Manage multiple clients and short- and long-term deliverables to ensure that Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are available to meet client needs
- Lead and execute HEOR research using internal and external datasets, including creating protocols and statistical analysis plans, executing analytics and data collection, and generating final reports for publication (manuscripts, posters, presentations)
- Presenting formally and informally the results of research to a diverse group of stakeholders
- Develops and executes HEOR projects, including writing RFPs, vendor selection, and project management, including budget and timelines
- Carry out economic modelling, claims-based research, and mixed-methods research and the development of strategic plans, studies, and analyses to support patient access and value-based outcomes, all within a highly matrixed team environment
- Building integrated real-world evidence generation and communication plans in close collaboration within and across Avalere and Fishawack Health
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A graduate degree in a health-related discipline such as a clinical degree, health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, health economics, epidemiology, business administration or a relevant discipline; a combination of a bachelor’s degree and in-depth relevant work experience is also acceptable
- Doctorate-level degree (MD, PhD, PharmD) in the life sciences preferred, including relevant training or employment in health economics, public health, or epidemiology
- Sophisticated understanding of defining value propositions for life-sciences products, including quality and treatment cost and affordability
- Understanding of value assessment frameworks (e.g., ICER, ISPOR) and common approaches to calculating and assessing value
- Ability to translate complex research into accessible and actionable insights
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of the organization
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Solid written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm
- 7 years of relevant work experience, which could include employment by a healthcare provider organization, pharmaceutical or health insurance company, digital health company, healthcare consultancy, or healthcare-focused research organization
- Experience in formative research or implementation science, including formulating research questions, designing data collection instruments, and executing studies
- Experience generating real-world evidence (qualitative or quantitative) to support value assessments and inform clinical treatment guidelines, formulary management, and other key facets of clients’ products