Avalere’s CHT Fellowship Program is small and highly selective. As a CHT Fellow, participants will spend 6 months immersed in next-generation healthcare delivery involving quality, innovation, and payment reform to help support the efforts of Avalere. This position is a full-time, paid fellowship ($25/hour), and Fellows will collaborate with our existing CHT team to increase Avalere’s presence and visibility as experts and thought-leaders in the space. Fellows may also be given the opportunity to work within cross-functional teams spanning Avalere’s health policy and commercialization spaces, as well as contribute to health economics and outcomes work currently underway.
Topics of current interest and importance include quality measurement development, evidence generation/analysis, guideline evaluation, clinical pathway implementation, performance improvement, and registry strategy/implementation; healthcare value, quality and payment reform policy, including shared decision-making; and care delivery innovation centered around digital health, patient engagement, and care coordination. We prize intellectual curiosity, creativity, and mental flexibility. While current expertise in a pertinent topic is a plus, none is essential. Additional experience working with healthcare data to conduct statistical modeling—specifically data from multiple sources, including electronic health records, surveys, and administrative claims—is a plus.
This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity for life sciences professionals who are transitioning into industry, the public sector, or consulting to gain valuable knowledge of quality and value issues facing healthcare companies. Through the fellowship, participants will develop the ability to frame issues and guide clients with their strategic policy responses. Career guidance and mentorship are built into the fellowship along with guidance on networking and career transitioning. The fellowship is designed to provide relevant and recognized healthcare policy experience at a top-tier firm.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A doctoral degree (PhD, MD, PharmD) in 1 of the following disciplines:
- Medical and health sciences
- Biological, chemical, or physiological sciences
- Computational, data/statistical sciences, bioinformatics, or mathematics
- Social and behavioral sciences
- The following degrees with a strong background in science and technology may also be considered:
- Juris Doctorate
- Master’s in Public Health
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Broad interests in health care and a natural curiosity
Preferred but Not Required
- Working with EHR-extracted datasets, survey data and healthcare financial data, integrating data from multiple sources preferred
- Knowledge of MS Excel and experience with data visualization platforms such as Tableau and Looker
- SAS programming (and SQL), ODS, and other methods to deliver summary output in Excel
- Building statistical models (e.g., regression modeling) and analyzing data to discover discrepancies and patterns
- Previous consulting experience preferred