The practice focuses on a range of issues including ongoing federal and state discussion around health reform, federal and state implementation of the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance exchanges, evolving benefit designs in public and private payers, Medicare Advantage and Part D policy and payment, Medicare reform issues, Medicaid and other state health policies, drug pricing reforms, generics and biosimilars policy, and federal budget and deficit reduction issues. We rely on deep subject-matter expertise and understanding of the business issues facing our clients to assess how this changing policy landscape impacts the pharmaceutical industry, managed care plans, providers, and consumers. We provide analytic support and advisory services, including legislative strategy, regulatory analysis, and quantitative modeling of proposed and enacted policies to a wide range of clients across the healthcare industry.
This position would focus primarily on generics and biosimilars policy, engaging on coverage, access, pricing, competitive environment, regulatory, and legislative developments. The ideal candidate will have some direct experience in the generics or biosimilars industry, with a strong desire to build in-depth subject matter expertise in these areas. While the position will concentrate primarily on generics and biosimilars policy issues, it will also leverage subject-matter expertise across the full range of Avalere’s health policy issues.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on generics and biosimilars policy-related issues impacting the biopharmaceutical industry
- Support and assist in managing project teams to help solve complex client problems and engage clients with novel solutions and ideas
- Generate business ideas and reach out to new and existing clients to assist with growing the generics and biosimilars policy business line
- Create both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients depending on their specific business needs
- Work with a portfolio of clients to identify and deliver on business opportunities and projects that dovetail with Avalere’s expertise and offerings
- Manage short- and long-term deliverables to ensure that all of Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are leveraged to meet client needs
- Solve complex client issues in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight and attention to resources
- Conceptualize, design, and execute—from start to finish—a broad range of client projects involving diverse, cross-functional, cross-practice teams
- Educate other members of the policy team on recent developments affecting their clients’ generics and biosimilars business lines
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A degree in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, economics, business administration, or a relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of government payer regulation and coverage of generics and biosimilars, as well as recent enacted and proposed legislative developments
- Strong understanding of government payers including Medicare Part D, Medicare Part B, Medicare Advantage, and Medicaid
- Solid communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to clients and staff within and outside of the firm.
Additional Skills and Competencies
- Experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, and/or regulation and conveying findings to clients and the public.
- Sophisticated understanding of the policy issues impacting the healthcare sector in general and generics and biosimilars manufacturers, as well as how the federal and state policy impacts the industry
- Demonstrated capability to oversee and supervise work of staff members
- Ability to understand and easily convey data results, including synthezing analytical results for a non-analytics focused audience
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytic skills with the ability to apply knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience, which could include employment by a biotechnology company, wholesaler, distributor, relevant trade group, or advocacy organization
- Experience in the government or a professional services firm thinking critically about or working on behalf of the generics and biosimilars manufacturers is an appropriate substitute for direct industry experience
- Experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, and/or regulation and conveying findings to clients and the public
- Experience rapidly and effectively digesting new regulations and legislative developments while educating others
- Prior project management experience
How to Apply
Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
Candidates may be required to complete an interview exercise or assessment as part of the final-round interview process for this role.