Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, DC, the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere’s experts span 230 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers. For more information, visit avalere.com, or follow us on Twitter @avalerehealth.
Avalere Health is seeking a Principal to join our Policy practice. The practice focuses on a range of issues including: ongoing federal and state discussion around health reform, federal and state implementation of the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance exchanges, evolving benefit designs in public and private payers, Medicare Advantage and Part D policy and payment, Medicare reform issues, Medicaid and other state health policies, and federal budget and deficit reduction issues. We rely on deep subject-matter expertise and understanding of the business issues facing our clients to assess how this changing policy landscape impacts the pharmaceutical industry, managed care plans, providers, and consumers. We provide analytic support and advisory services, including legislative strategy, regulatory analysis, and quantitative modeling of proposed and enacted policies to a wide range of clients across the healthcare industry. This position would focus primarily on commercial insurance policy, regulation, and strategy, but would also leverage subject matter expertise across that range of health policy issues.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a subject-matter expert on commercial insurance policy-related issues impacting the pharmaceutical/ biotech and health insurance industries, with both a state and federal policy/regulatory focus.
- Lead teams within the Policy practice and across the firm to solve complex client problems and engage clients with novel solutions and ideas.
- Generate business with new clients and grow business with existing clients.Create both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients depending on their policy and business needs.
- Manage a portfolio of clients to identify and deliver on business opportunities and projects that dovetail with Avalere’s expertise and offerings.
- Manage multiple clients, as well as short- and long-term deliverables, to ensure that all of Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are available to meet client needs.
- Solve complex client issues in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight and attention to resources.
- Conceptualize, design, and execute—from start to finish—a broad range of client projects involving diverse, cross-functional, cross-practice teams.
- Hire, train, supervise, and mentor staff members within the practice and across the firm.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A graduate degree in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, health economics, business administration or a relevant discipline. A combination of bachelor’s degree and in-depth relevant work experience is also acceptable.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, which could include employment by a biotech or health insurance company, relevant trade group, or advocacy organization.
- Prior experience in the government, the financial services industry, or a professional services firm thinking critically about and/or working on behalf of the healthcare industry is an appropriate substitute for direct industry experience.
- In particular, experience should be focused on Medicaid and/or commercial insurance. Additional experience with any or all of the policy issues related to implementation of federal and state policies is also helpful.
- Deep knowledge of federal and state commercial market regulation and the state regulatory process as well as federal and state insurance regulations
- Prior project management experience.
- Solid communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm.
Additional Skills and Competencies
- Significant experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, and/or regulation and conveying findings to clients and the public.
- Sophisticated understanding of the policy issues impacting the healthcare sector, business dynamics in the marketplace, and how the federal and state policy impacts the industry.
- Experience overseeing and supervising work of staff members.
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytic skills with the ability to apply knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
How to Apply:
Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
Candidates should be prepared for an interview exercise that aligns with the requirements of the position as a part of the in person interview process.