The practice focuses on a range of issues including: ongoing federal and state discussion around health reform, federal and state implementation of the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) health insurance exchanges, evolving benefit designs in public and private payers, Medicare Advantage and Part D policy and payment, Medicare reform issues, Medicaid and other state health policies, drug pricing reforms, and federal budget and deficit reduction issues. We rely on deep subject matter expertise and understanding of the business issues facing our clients to assess how this changing policy landscape impacts the pharmaceutical industry, managed care plans, providers, and consumers. We provide analytic support and advisory services, including legislative strategy, regulatory analysis, and quantitative modeling of proposed and enacted policies to a wide range of clients across the healthcare industry.
This position would focus primarily on commercial insurance policy, reform, regulation, and strategy, but would also leverage subject matter expertise across the full range of Avalere’s health policy issues.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert on health insurance policy-related issues impacting the pharmaceutical, biotech, and health insurance industries, with both a state and federal policy and regulatory focus.
- Specifically, lead subject-matter development and response on key healthcare reform issues around ACA legislative and regulatory reforms, commercial benefit design trends, employer sponsored insurance, and cross-industry impacts of public program expansions (e.g., Medicare for All)
- Lead teams within the Policy practice and across the firm to solve complex client problems and engage clients with novel solutions and ideas
- Generate business with new clients and grow business with existing clients. Create both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients depending on their policy and business needs
- Manage a portfolio of clients to identify and deliver on business opportunities and projects that dovetail with Avalere’s expertise and offerings
- Manage multiple clients, as well as short- and long-term deliverables, to ensure that all of Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are available to meet client needs
- Solve complex client issues in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight and attention to resources
- Conceptualize, design, and execute—from start to finish—a broad range of client projects involving diverse, cross-functional, cross-practice teams
- Hire, train, supervise, and mentor staff members within the practice and across the firm
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A degree in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, economics, business administration, or a relevant discipline.
- Externally recognized expertise around the Affordable Care Act, health reform, and commercial market coverage policy
- Deep knowledge of federal and state commercial market regulation and the state regulatory process as well as federal and state insurance regulations
- Project management experience
- Solid communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytic skills with the ability to apply knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Sophisticated understanding of the policy issues impacting the healthcare sector, business dynamics in the marketplace, and how the federal and state policy impact the industry
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of the organization
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience, which could include employment by a biotech or health insurance company, relevant trade group, advocacy organization, Capitol Hill, the Administration, or a think tank
- Prior experience in the financial services industry or a professional services firm thinking critically about and/or working on behalf of the healthcare industry is an appropriate substitute for direct industry experience
- In particular, experience should be focused on coverage reform, individual and small group insurance regulation, or Medicaid; additional experience with any or all of the policy issues related to implementation of federal and state policies is also helpful
- Significant experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, or regulation and conveying findings to clients and the public
- Experience overseeing and supervising work of staff members