Avalere Health is seeking a Principal-level candidate to join our Market Access practice. The team focuses on a wide range of areas, such as value and evidence development in support of go-to-market campaigns; access, coverage, coding, and payment strategies across commercial and public payers; provider reimbursement and operations within value-based reimbursement models; pricing and contracting strategies; distributors and specialty pharmacies; field team design and deployment; and patient support services. We help our clients optimize market access initiatives for their products though deep subject-matter expertise and understanding of the policy and payment landscape and the business issues impacting the relative marketplace.
We design strategic and tactical plans to maximize adoption and uptake by payers, providers, and patients throughout the product lifecycle by integrating policy and healthcare market dynamics into the business planning cycle. We work on a team basis with complementary scientific, technical, and regulatory expertise in the pre-approval and post-market spaces.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and securing business within the life science space.
- Managing a portfolio of clients to ensure that all of Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are available to meet client needs.
- Conceptualizing the scope of projects for clients, assembling a cross-functional team, and overseeing the team from project initiation through to client delivery.
- Serving as a subject-matter expert on reimbursement and market access-related issues impacting the pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device industries.
- Creating both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients to ensure optimal market access for client products.
- Solving complex client issues in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight and attention to resources.
- Proactively seeking and obtaining speaking engagements with clients, policy makers, and thought leaders in order to generate public recognition for Avalere and result in new business and revenue generation.
- Direct management and supervision of team members.
- Mentoring, supervising, and training staff and team members within the Reimbursement Practice and across the firm.
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- Advanced degree in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, health economics, business administration, law or a relevant discipline with 8 years of relevant experience OR an undergraduate degree in the same or similar areas with 11+ years of relevant experience.
- Examples of relevant work experience include: consulting firms, diagnostics and/or pharmaceutical manufacturers, clinical laboratories with specialty in molecular diagnostics, and the healthcare industry at large.
- 3–5 years of consulting experience.
- 3–5 years reimbursement-specific policy experience.
- 2 years of team leadership experience.
- 5 years of management/supervisory experience with excellent leadership/mentoring skills in developing staff.
- Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite.
- Solid writing skills as a foundation for professional business communication.
Additional Skills and Competencies
- It is highly preferred that the candidate be local or be willing to relocate to the Washington, DC, area.
- 10–15 years relevant experience is preferred.
- Ability to establish personal credibility as a strategic and reimbursement expert with clients.
- Significant and sustained project management experience that includes interacting with and presenting to senior-level executives and/or health policy leaders.
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Solid communication skills including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm.
- Experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, and/or federal regulation and conveying findings to clients and the public.
- Ability to analyze and understand health policy trends from the perspective of multiple stakeholders and translate related business implications.
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytic skills with the ability to apply knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website at avalere.com/careers. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
Candidates may be required to complete an interview exercise or assessment as part of the final-round interview process for this role.