Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, DC, the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere’s experts span 230 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers. For more information, visit avalere.com, or follow us on Twitter @avalerehealth.
Avalere Health is seeking a SAS Programmer experienced in working with healthcare data—specifically analyzing the Medicare, Medicaid, or commercial insurance markets—to join the firm’s Policy Practice, which works with all sectors of the healthcare policy and business marketplace (e.g., biopharma, patient groups, providers, health insurers, governments, financial services). A key function of the Policy Practice is performing policy-related analytics to bring Avalere’s quantitative assets and expertise to bear in helping clients understand and respond to federal and state policy developments.
- Working with medical claims and various healthcare data to inform business and policy strategy recommendations for clients
- Conceptualizing the scope of quantitative/programming projects for clients
- Solving programming problems in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight
- Working with project managers and project staff as part of a cross-functional team to deliver projects to clients
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, business, economics, mathematics, statistics, public policy, public health, or other related fields.
- Ability to create a wide variety of output, reports, and delivery files
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work closely with all levels of staff
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 3–5 years of SAS programming experience, as well as SAS/STAT or SAS EG
- 2+ years of SQL programming experience
- Experience manipulating complex datasets using SAS or SQL
- Experience with SAS Macros
- Experience using ODS and other methods to deliver output in Excel
- Experience with importing data, transforming, cleaning, merging, and editing data and extensive quality/accuracy measures
- Experience analyzing government or commercial claims data, and data from large surveys (e.g., MCBS) or other large (more than 1 million records) datasets
- Experience with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
- Experience interpreting statistical output and analyses
- Experience working with advanced-level statisticians
How to Apply
Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
Candidates may be required to complete an interview exercise or assessment as part of the final-round interview process for this role.