Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, DC, the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere’s experts span 230 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers. By combining technical capabilities with life sciences industry experience, we want Avalere to create and execute unmatched market offerings to solve our clients’ business issues.
This team member will identify new business opportunities and client prospects, build initial and enduring relationships with customers, manage the sales process from identification to contract execution, and play a significant role in building the firm. The role requires applying domain expertise, surfacing and exploring key issues of relevance to life sciences companies, conceptualizing projects with clients, and leading internal initiatives to contribute significantly to the firm’s strategic goals. This role will have 3 primary job responsibilities, including identification of new clients and their needs, matching those needs with Avalere capabilities, and exhibiting sales process excellence. The position will lead high-priority initiatives and collaborate with colleagues to explore and uncover business needs to deliver and grow new business.
This client-facing role will:
- Optimize business development with new clients by targeting Avalere’s subject matter expertise and capabilities to key functional areas: government affairs and public policy, managed markets, health economics and outcomes research, medical affairs, regulatory affairs, brand/therapeutic area teams, research and development, and training.
- Serve as an advocate for prospective client needs and collaborate with experts across Avalere practices to offer solutions to prospective life sciences clients (pharmaceutical/biotech drug manufacturers and medical device and diagnostic companies).
- Make substantive contributions to establishing new client relationships and proposal/pitch materials by understanding new client needs.
- Deploy experience and expertise in relevant areas of focus and be committed to delivering cutting edge solutions to our clients.
As a team member, the Senior Associate / Consultant I will lead and maintain contact with new client prospects, including senior level executives. They must be highly successful at cultivating and developing relationships and serving as a trusted advisor. The ideal team member will have superior organizational skills, oral and written communication skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to work effectively across multiple projects/people in a fast-paced and highly collaborative setting. A deep understanding of healthcare market issues and a commitment to advancing the Avalere vision and voice in this marketplace is critical. Additionally, the ability to translate the complex and often detailed concepts into understandable and commercially relevant points for clients is essential.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
New Client Business Development
- Contribute to setting quarterly and annual business development (BD) goals and measuring progress against those goals
- Create a BD plan targeting specific life sciences clients and buying centers to meet those goals
- Organize pursuit teams; participate and lead aspects of the proposal development process; contribute to the development of proposal pricing strategies
- Leverage existing collateral and customize BD materials and presentations for prospects to demonstrate compelling value propositions
- Collaborate actively with life sciences sales team, account management teams, and practice teams to identify, understand and optimize the development of new opportunities
- Proactively anticipate customer needs based on industry developments and guides firm investment in new areas
- Conduct market intelligence to understand key competitors
- Represent Avalere and build relationships with prospective clients at events—such as webinars, podcasts and industry conferences—selected to increase Avalere market visibility
- Contribute to firm visibility and marketing campaigns to support buying center goals
Sales Process Management
- Triage leads from marketing team to identify new potential prospects
- Manage internal process of developing proposal, pitch, statements of work, and other relevant collateral by drafting initial versions and collaborating with practices, sales operations, finance, and legal to review contracts in an efficient and timely manner
- Support the team in new client engagement planning, collaborating to bring together the optimal team and content drawn from across the organization to maximize the chances of success
- Ensure the update and consistent, accurate use of CRM based on client and prospect interactions
- Establish and maintain relationships with key decision makers at new clients that facilitates buy-in of proposed solutions from senior management levels
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent years of experience)
- Knowledge of healthcare issues and the life sciences industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, highly professional presence; able to interact with board-level and C-level executives
- Ability to maintain compliance with Inovalon’s policies, procedures and mission statement;
- Adhere to all confidentiality and HIPAA requirements as outlined within Inovalon’s operating policies and procedures in all ways and at all times with respect to any aspect of the data handled or services rendered in the undertaking of the position
- Fulfill those responsibilities and duties that may be reasonably provided by Inovalon for the purpose of achieving operational and financial success of the employer
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive for identifying and fostering new business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize work streams effectively under deadline, with timely execution and resolution of action items
- Ethical, confident, and creative, with a persistent can-do attitude
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationship with colleagues and clients to achieve solutions-oriented goals
- Proactive mindset and approach: able to think several steps ahead to client conversions, anticipate teammates’ needs, and suggest improvements to existing processes
- Open to feedback and learning; willing to coach and teach others
- Familiar with developing and maintaining sales plans and managing multiple initiatives/work streams simultaneously preferred
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- A willingness to travel up to 50% (after the public health emergency ends)
- 2–6 years of professional experience working within healthcare, with preference for a focus on life sciences
- Experience in a sales role for advisory services, consulting, or related services in healthcare preferred
- Experience in preparing and proofing documents for executive-level audience