Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, DC, the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere’s experts span 230 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers. For more information, visit avalere.com or follow us on Twitter @avalerehealth.
Avalere Health is seeking a Senior Associate or Consultant I to join our Policy practice. The practice focuses on a wide range of policy issues, including related to prescription drug pricing, Medicare Part D, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, vaccine policy, and state policy. We rely on deep subject matter expertise and understanding of the business issues facing our clients to assess how this changing policy landscape impacts the pharmaceutical industry, managed care plans, providers, and consumers. We provide analytic support and advisory services, including legislative strategy, regulatory analysis, and quantitative modeling of proposed and enacted policies to a wide range of clients across the healthcare industry. This position would focus primarily on state policy issues, including those related to the biopharmaceutical industry, insurance regulation, health professions regulation, and Medicaid but would also leverage subject-matter expertise across that range of health policy issues.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a subject matter expert on a broad spectrum of state policy-related issues impacting the biopharmaceutical industry
- Lead project teams within the Policy practice and across the firm to solve complex client problems, and engage clients with novel solutions and ideas
- Project teams will focus on providing strategic recommendations to state policy and state government affairs teams at biopharmaceutical companies, including Medicaid
- Create both strategic and tactical recommendations for biopharmaceutical clients for both brand-level and above-brand priorities
- Manage multiple clients, as well as short- and long-term deliverables, to ensure that all of Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are available to meet client needs
- Solve complex client issues in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight and attention to resources
- Conceptualize, design, and execute—from start to finish—a broad range of client projects involving diverse cross-functional (e.g., relating to analytics) and cross-practice (e.g., relating to coverage and reimbursement) teams
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A graduate degree in health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, health economics, business administration or a relevant discipline. A combination of bachelor’s degree and in-depth relevant work experience is also acceptable
- 4–6 years of relevant work experience, which could include employment at a(n):
- Biopharmaceutical company focusing on state policy or state government affairs issues
- Health insurance company focusing on state policy or state government affairs issues
- Advocacy organization focusing on state policy or state government affairs issues
- Industry trade group focusing on state policy or state government affairs issues
- Research or academic institution focusing on state policy or state government affairs issues
- State or federal governmental entity focusing on state policy issues
- Subject matter expertise should reflect an understanding of:
- Health insurance regulation at the state level
- State-level legislative development processes
- State-level regulatory development processes
- Key issues in state policy that relate to access to prescription drugs (e.g., utilization management, drug pricing)
- Key Medicaid trends at the state level (e.g., section 1115 waivers)
- Solid communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm
Functional expertise should reflect
- Prior project management experience
- Prior experience using legal research databases (e.g., WestLaw, Lexis)
- Prior experience using legislative research databases (e.g., LegiScan)
- Prior experience drafting legislative or regulatory text at the federal or state level
Additional Skills and Competencies
- Experience working on vaccine policy issues, especially related to adult immunizations
- Experience working on pharmacy-related state policy issues (e.g., scope of practice laws)
- Significant experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, and/or regulation and conveying findings to clients and the public.
- Sophisticated understanding of the policy issues impacting the healthcare sector, business dynamics in the marketplace, and how the federal and state policy impacts the industry.
- Experience overseeing and supervising work of staff members.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytic skills with the ability to apply knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website at avalere.com/careers. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
Candidates may be required to complete an interview exercise or assessment as part of the final-round interview process for this role.