Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, DC, the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere’s experts span 200 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers. For more information, visit avalere.com, or follow us on Twitter @avalerehealth.
The SQL/SAS Programmer I will join our growing Health Economics and Advanced Analytics (HEAA) practice. The HEAA practice consists of staff with specialized experience, such as health economists, data scientists, health service researchers, and project managers. The SQL/SAS Programmer will participate in the conceptualization, execution, and delivery of analyses in health economics, comparative effectiveness, performance measure development and testing, outcomes research, and epidemiology, as well as qualitative and strategy-based work products for clients. We also work closely with other practices within Avalere and Inovalon, applying the full scope of the firm’s knowledge base to the development of multi-disciplinary, creative solutions on behalf of our clients.
- Working with large medical and pharmacy claims datasets (>1 billion records) to create structured queries and patient-level analytic files using SQL or SAS, and generation of summary output
- Solving programming problems in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight
- Working with project managers and project staff as part of a cross-functional team to deliver projects to clients
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, business, economics, mathematics, statistics, public policy, public health, or other related
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and meet project timelines
- Ability to create a wide variety of summary output and delivery files (e.g., delimited, SAS, Excel)
- Ability to work closely with all levels of staff
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 2+ years of experience manipulating and analyzing large government and/or commercial healthcare claims datasets using SQL or SAS
- Experience importing, transforming, merging, and cleaning claims data, including running quality checks
- Experience with SAS Macros, ODS, and other methods to deliver summary output in Excel
- Experience interpreting statistical output and analyses or aptitude to learn
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted through the Careers section of our website at www.avalere.com/careers. Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
- Candidates may be required to complete an interview exercise or assessment as part of the final-round interview process for this role.