SummaryOn June 1, Josh Seidman participated in a panel discussion hosted by FasterCures to discuss Avalere's collaboration with FasterCures to develop a patient-centric value framework.
In the webinar moderated by FasterCures Executive Director Margaret Anderson, Josh was joined by Marc Boutin from the National Health Council (NHC) and Kate Goodrich from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Steve Pearson from the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER) was also a webinar respondent.
Here’s what was covered:
1. One common element missing from recent value frameworks is the incorporation of the patient perspective, specifically, information on:
- Clinical, functional, and quality of life benefits and shortcomings
- Out-of-pocket cost considerations for the patient/family member
- Strength of evidence/confidence for patients that they will achieve the purported benefits of specific therapies
- Accessible and usable information for patients/family members to understand and discuss with physician
2. CMS shared that they are actively engaged in dialogue with consumers, patients, and clinicians about value and what’s important to them.
3. Marc Boutin from NHC discussed the Patient-Centered Value Model Rubric that NHC recently rolled out. Its key elements include transparency to patients and outcomes that patients care about (to name a few).
4. Steve Pearson from ICER highlighted that framework developers need to do a better job at receiving guidance from patient groups when determining what outcomes are most important to patients, and that the Avalere/FasterCures initiative is very important for moving the patient perspective forward.
5. Avalere and FasterCures are bringing together a workgroup to develop the following:
- A stand-alone patient-perspective value framework that incorporates patient value considerations through a set of technically specified criteria
- A plan for integrating appropriate data sources into the framework
- A defined set of use cases and applications of the framework for piloting in 2017 and beyond
For additional information about our work with FasterCures and/or other value frameworks, please contact Josh Seidman.
The archived version of the webinar is also available.
produces measurable results. Let's work together.