SummaryOn April 24, 2018, Avalere experts were joined by Aledade CEO, Farzad Mostashari, MD, to discuss the latest developments coming out of the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation (CMMI).
The webinar featured:
- Erica Breese, Director, Health Plans & Providers
- John Feore, Director, Center for Healthcare Transformation
- Josh Seidman, Senior Vice President, Center for Healthcare Transformation
The discussion focused on the following topics:
- Medicare Accountable Care Organization (ACO) performance to date
- The path ahead for Medicare alternative payment models (APMs)
- Outlook for the bundled payment programs
Medicare ACO Performance to Date
The panelists discussed Avalere’s recent analysis of the Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) and select CMMI demonstration programs, which found that the models vary in their budgetary impact, but generally show quality improvement.
The Path Ahead for Medicare APMs
Mostashari noted that Azar is not afraid to “shake things up” and will continue to push for and accelerate value-based care. Mostashari went on to say that he expects to see reduced availability of one-sided risk models so that providers must assume responsibility for cost.
Outlook for Bundled Payment Programs
Today’s bundled payment programs are mostly voluntary, so Avalere experts expect more sophisticated organizations to participate. Going forward, CMS is likely to experiment with new types of bundles, including those for chronic conditions.
For more information about ACOs and the future of CMMI, connect with us.
produces measurable results. Let's work together.